logo subpagesEST 1961

Fairey-Reed Propeller

£2850
309.jpg_product_product_product_product_product_product_product
Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller Fairey-Reed Propeller

Fairey-Reed Propeller

£2850

A wall mounted 1930's Fairey-Reed pattern fixed pitch airscrew propeller.

Width: 212 cm.

 

S. Albert Reed began manufacturing aerodynamically efficient duralumin propellers for the U.S. Army Air Service and Navy in 1922. The Reed Propeller Company was formed as a subsidiary of the Curtiss Aeroplane & Motor Company in 1924. His propeller was used in more than eighty engine and airframe combinations, and was the choice of racing teams for the Pulitzer and Schneider Trophies, and won the Collier Trophy in 1925.

The U.S. Navy's victory in the 1923 Schneider Trophy Race introduced to Europe new ideas of high speed aircraft design, especially in regard to their all-metal Reed propellers. British manufacturer, Richard Fairey, observed the race and obtained the license to manufacture the Reed. Fairey-Reed propellers powered Britain's high speed aircraft of the late 1920's and early 1930's. They were used on the 1927, 1929, and 1931 Supermarine aircraft flown to win the Schneider Trophy. World speed records for straightaway and closed course for both land and seaplanes featured these propellers.