logo subpagesEST 1961

HMS Tiger Bell

£1250
082.jpg_product
HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell HMS Tiger Bell

HMS Tiger Bell

£1250
A bronze bell made from metal derived from the damage sustained to HMS Tiger at the WWI battle of Jutland, 1916.

Mounted on a horseshoe shaped stand with a dark oak base.

Height: 46 cm - 18 inches.

HMS Tiger was a battlecruiser of the Royal Navy. She was built by John Brown & Company of Clydebank, Scotland, and launched in 1913. Tiger was the most heavily armoured battlecruiser of the Royal Navy at the start of the First World War. The ship was assigned to the 1st Battlecruiser Squadron for the duration of the war and participated in the Battle of Dogger Bank in early 1915. Tiger then participated in the Battle of Jutland in 1916, Tiger was hit a total of 18 times during the battle, mostly by shells fired by Moltke, 24 men killed and 46 wounded.
Tiger was the oldest battlecruiser retained by the Royal Navy after the tonnage limits of the Washington Naval Treaty came into effect in 1922. She became a gunnery training ship in 1924 and then joined the Battlecruiser Squadron in 1929 when its flagship, HMS Hood, underwent a lengthy refit. Tiger was decommissioned and sold for scrap in 1932 in accordance with the terms of the London Naval Treaty of 1930.
 
John Keegan the British military historian described her as “certainly the most beautiful warship in the world then, and perhaps ever.” In his book, The Price of Admiralty.