logo subpagesEST 1961

WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE

lg_1740142.jpg
 WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE  WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE

WHITEHEAD TORPEDO GYROSCOPE

An early cased gyroscope device is known as an Obry gear for directing a torpedo. Produced by Whitehead & Co of Fiume. Circa 1910.

With winder and key. 

Fiume was then part of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and now is Rijeka in Croatia.

Patented in 1894 by Lodovico (Ludwig) Obry from Trieste. 

The torpedo represents one of the most important developments in the late 19th and 20th-century warfare. 

For comparable Whitehead gyroscopes see: 
Royal Navy Submarine Museum, Gosport. 
Canadian War Museum, Ottawa. 


Height: 27.5 cm  |  10.75 in

Width: 18.5 cm  |  7.25 in

Depth: 23 cm  |  9 in